When we look at the sales results, December 2015 broke all previous records. We reached and exceeded the target for the quarter as well as the target for the year, but I can't say that I'm happy with the results of the web site in December.
The site didn't perform as well as in December 2014.
Do you see that dip in the web site visits last week:
That's the Thanksgiving dip, but... there's more. The dip is also caused by the move to our new web site. Incidentally, we forgot to change the Google ID we used on the test and staging server, so plenty of visits weren't counted for about 16 hours last Thursday/Friday. But hey, let's not whine about that: we finally have a new web site!
Hmmmz, October looks suspiciously like September in terms of web site activity.
I can't say that the fact that we had to postpone the release of the new web site makes me happy. Once again, I'm reminded of the fact that deadlines can only be met if you're working on a one-man project. As soon as many different parties are involved, people will always change their mind, come up with new stuff, wait for feedback,... In February 2008, I've built a completely new web site for iText in only one (long) weekend. I rewrote the entire site about two years ago and that took me less than a week.
Mind you: I'm not blaming anyone. It's a shared responsibility and I'm the "chief responsible" as we didn't have any marketing employees between July and October. Moreover, the new web site will have much more functionality than the old one. Finally, I am no longer the only person who decides what should be on the site and what shouldn't. That's a good thing, because I didn't have any time to create and update web pages anymore.