After browsing the first edition of Unlocking Android and reading the MEAP version of Android in Practice, I managed to write an Android app that uses iText to create a "Hello Bruno" PDF document on the SD Card of my smartphone. I still need to do some work before I can share this small demo application with the world, but this is what I've done so far:
A couple of years ago, I think it was in 2008, but I don't remember if Inigo was already in the hospital or not, I reviewed a proposal written by Grant Ingersoll for a book named Taming Text. We spent a lot of time on fine-tuning the table of contents, and I wondered what had happened with the book. I searched the Manning website, and found out that six chapters of the book are available in the Manning Early Access Program.
I'm an author at Manning Publications, and as such, I have a login to their document system. A while ago, I found chapter 12 of the new book Hadoop in Action in one of the public folders. It was probably put there by mistake, but I couldn't resist taking a look at it, and much to my surprise, the first section in that chapter mentioned iText.
I've been working at home for my own company for exactly two months now, and I really enjoy my sabbatical. Yet, there are times when I miss having colleagues nearby, especially: having lunch with colleagues.
A couple of days ago, I installed a development environment for Android because I volunteered to review chapters 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, and 9 of Android in Practice. I don't have much time to read for the moment, but I succeeded in finishing the first chapter today, and I've deployed my first "Hello Android" application on my phone.
After I installed different virtual hosts on my local Apache server, I noticed that my blog site (Bruno Lowagie's Online Gazette) didn't work because I had enable clean URLs on my public webserver, but this wasn't possible on my local machine. I had to apply some extra, minor changes to the httpd.conf file. This is what was needed: